When you give your kids the freedom to take the bus, walk, or ride with friends to school, it can be a little unnerving. You send them to school for the day, but you don’t actually see them walk through the doors.
Did they make it on time? Did they . . . detour? Are they safe?
Without confirmation that their kids made it safely to school, many parents are left with a series of uneasy thoughts. Those feelings can be even worse if the child was supposed to send a text and check-in but forgot.
There’s plenty to worry about during the school year. Concerns about your kid getting to and from school shouldn’t be one of them. So MamaBear Family Safety App created a system that automatically notifies parents when their kids make it to their destination — without any effort from the child.
The free app takes the stress out of school travel, and it’s easy to set up.
How to Set Up Location Alerts on MamaBear
From your phone:
- Install MamaBear (available for both iPhones and Androids).
- Register and create profiles for your family
- On the main menu, select “Add Child.”
- Enter your child’s name, cell phone number, and birthday.
- Under settings for that child, select “Location Alerts.”
- Under Safe Places, select “Add New.”
- Add a safe place by entering the name and address of the location. May we suggest adding addresses for school and your home before the first day of school.
- By default, alerts will be set for both arrivals and departure but you can toggle the buttons to change the settings.
From your child’s phone:
- Install MamaBear.
- Select “this is a child’s phone” and log in with their phone number and family password.
- Review device settings to be sure location services is on, background refresh is on and wifi is toggled on.
Once you go through these steps, MamaBear will take it from there. The app uses GPS and combined location services on your child’s phone and automatically sends messages to you when your child arrives at or leaves one of the saved locations.
How to Protect MamaBear App From Being Deleted
Locations alerts only work if the MamaBear app is installed and logged in from your child’s phone. It will not work if the app is uninstalled.
To make sure that the app is not deleted, you can add a password to set a restriction on removal for iPhones. Android users will need to explore other parental control options.
- Go to the general settings in your child’s phone.
- Tap general.
- Scroll down.
- Tap restrictions.
- Enable restrictions.
- Create a passcode.
- Toggle “Deleting Apps” to OFF.
With the help of MamaBear, parents can give their kids the freedom to go to school by themselves without having to call or check in when they reach their destination. It offers parents peace of mind knowing that their kids are at school and making it home safely.
Give you and your kids one less thing to worry about this school year, and download the MamaBear Family Safety App.
Apple recently introduced iOS 7, the newest version of the iphone operating system. The new operating system features a redesigned user interface and several functionality improvements.
MamaBear family members using an Apple iPhone upgraded to iOS 7, especially iphone 4 and 4s users, may have noticed a change with location updates. Although there are many great new features to iOS 7, there are new settings to be aware of affecting location service apps.
The October 23 app upgrade to MamaBear included better iOS 7 compatibility and we continue to work on other improvements, especially the ability to update location more often using iOS 7.
In the meanwhile, there are some proactive steps you can take to get back on track with location monitoring. These industry articles expand on the lag iphone 4 and 4s may have on iOS 7: readwrite.com and USA Today.
Please review these settings on your child’s iPhone
1. Be sure “Location Services” is on by reviewing Settings > Privacy > Location Services.
2. Be sure background app refresh is on for MamaBear by going to Settings > General > Background App refresh. We won’t be able to update your child’s location if this is turned off.
3. Ask your child to keep MamaBear running in the background. If your child swipes MamaBear up by double clicking the phone’s home button, it will close the app and not allow us to monitor location in iOS 7.
4. If your child is auto-updating apps, be sure they are logged in to MamaBear after they update any new releases from MamaBear.
5. Set up safe places in MamaBear! Entering programmed places helps the app run in the background, not to mention keeps you updated!
Following these steps will help MamaBear work more efficiently on your child’s phone if they are now using Apple’s new iPhone operating system.
We’ll gladly answer any of your concerns by getting in touch with us at info@localhost. Stay in touch!