Choosing the right family safety app isn’t easy. There are a number of great options on the market today providing parents some peace of mind. MamaBear App and Life360 are two top choices many families consider. While both apps have similar features when it comes to monitoring a child’s location using a smartphone or other mobile device, there are some key differences between the apps. Let’s discuss what makes MamaBear and Life360 similar and different.
Similarly, the MamaBear and Life360 app offers parents the ability see their children’s current and recent locations. Both apps also allow kids to check in with parents using the app. They also allow parents to set automatic alerts to track when their kids come and go from places they frequently visit (school, soccer practice, friends’ houses, etc.).
Both apps have some key differences as well.
Here’s a breakdown of the ways in which these two Family Safety Apps differ:
– Mamabear offers social media monitoring. For example, with MamaBear a parent can receive alerts when a child makes a new friend on Facebook, follows someone new or uploads a photo on Instagram, gets tagged or @mentioned in a photo, message or at a location on Facebook or Instagram. The restricted words list allows parents to be notified to words or phrases that are posted on their child’s Facebook or Instagram page. The list can include inappropriate language or words that may indicate bullying.
Related: Protecting Kids from Internet Stranger Danger
– MamaBear offers driving speed monitoring for teens. Parents receive an alert when their child drives or rides over a preset speed limit that tells them how fast they were going and where they were when they exceeded the preset limit. You can also view the child’s speeding history.
– MamaBear offers a custom child view. Kids can check in with parents with emoticons or send a quick “come get me” or “emergency” notification from a different view with a child profile log in. Kids can also customize their view of the app with wallpaper selections.
– Life360 offers a premium version along with their free app. The premium version of Life360 comes with access to a 24/7 advisor connecting you to a real person who can direct emergency responders to your location, give you personalized crisis care, access your emergency profile, etc. The premium version of the app also includes stolen phone protection.
– Life360 has the same map view regardless of the family role as a child or parent allowing parents to share their location if they choose. The app also adds crime updates and sex offenders plotted on the map.
More recently, the app added “Circles,” a feature to create custom groups of people to share location and messages.
Two great family safety apps with many different features filling different needs for families. Choose the right one for your family and let us know how it goes!
2 Replies to “Comparing Family Safety Apps: MamaBear and Life360”
Sebastien Bellencontre said in So Foot magazine: “When I read articles about a hypothetical transfer to Manchester United I think it would be the ideal commercial scenario.
As we all know the corona outbreak is at its peak and these features you guys are offering are not enough if I want to look after my children. Children spend most their time glued to their devices and parents need more than just the ‘location and social media monitoring’ for their children.
I have an 8 year old at home who is limited to the home becuase of the pandemic and to be honest with the Family Time App i have been able to not only monitor him but also limit his screen time by locking away his phone with my dashboard app.
If you want your child to remain on the safe side of the internet installing Family Time App is very important!